Thursday, May 20, 2010

Gov. visits Coatesville Area School District

Gov. Ed Rendell spoke to Coatesville Area School District officials and students on Thursday morning about the importance of education funding and ways he believes the state can generate revenue.

Rendell said he is proposing a $354 million increase in basic education spending in the 2010-11 state budget, which would raise the basic education fund to about $5.8 million.

Rendell outlined four ways the state could generate revenue that would help fund the increase in basic education funding.
1. A Marcellus Shale severance tax would bring in about $160 million a year.
2. A smokeless tobacco tax would bring in about $45 million in revenue.
3. An elimination of the vendor sales tax discount would bring in about $70 million.
4. An elimination of the so-called “Delaware Loophole” would save the state about $60 million.

Overall, Rendell is currently proposing a $29 billion 2010-11 state budget.

What do you think of Rendell's plans to generate revenue for the proposed increase in basic education funding?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that Coatesville School District's education is very poor compared to most other school districts. I know I went to Coatesville and Avon Grove and between the two when I went to Avon Grove I thought I learned things I should've been learning a long time ago so hopefully the proposal is approved and the money is used for good improvements in the overall schooling :/

June 24, 2010 at 5:55 PM 
Anonymous Hearing Aids said...

Superb blog post, I have book marked this internet site so ideally I’ll see much more on this subject in the foreseeable future!

January 18, 2011 at 1:16 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home